Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Double Journal Entry #7

"I didn’t know that I was to become a poet, that in many ways the very thing that caused me so much confusion and frustration, my belabored relationship with words, had created in me a deep appreciation of language and its music, that the same mind that prevented me from reading had invented a new way of reading, a method that I now use to teach others how to overcome their own difficulties in order to write fiction and poetry' (Schultz, 2011)



I struggled with reading and writing in elementary school. I had to take "tutoring" in those subjects. Now, thanks to my teacher, reading and writing are two of my stronger attributes. I find Schultz's story inspiring. He turned something he struggled with into something that he now truly loves. I love seeing someone who has struggled succeed and I appreciate Schultz greatly, because he not only shared his story but now he is sharing his method of how to overcome dyslexia. I know I did not struggle with as many issues as Schultz, but as someone who once struggled with reading and writing I can empathize with his feelings. I truly had a similar experience, something I struggled to overcome has developed into a "deep appreciation."



Since I am wanting to teach Spanish, and learning a foreign language can be a challenge for dyslexic students, I find this article to be a type of call to action. I think utilizing digital storytelling could be helpful to my students who have dyslexia. I can record my voice and speak more slowly and more clearly than I normally might in class. I could also have the words in a sentence being highlighted as I read them, so the student could read along and learn pronunciation and spelling more easily. I could also present pictures along with the words to help make a better connection with the mind. For example, I could show the picture of an olive and slowly I would say the word "aceituna" (olive in Spanish) and as I am pronouncing the word each sound I am making would be highlighted as my voice is heard. I am sure some dyslexic students would still struggle; however, an exercise like this one might be helpful to all of my students.



I found a really interesting article to go along with this reading. The article is called "Digital Revolution Changing the Lives of Students with Disabilities." This article discusses a teacher named Kathy White, who helps find technology to specifically assist a child's special needs. Her work has helped a number of students. One student that she helped is named Correy, he has dyslexia. He was in a slow-paced science class and on his to being placed in special education courses. Now, thanks to Kathy White, he uses an iPod, a laptop, and computer software, that reads to him, to help him succeed beyond what he could have ever imagined.



Schultz, F. (2012, Feburary 27). Digital revolution changing the lives of students with disabilities. Education Week, Retrieved from http://www.edweek.org/dd/articles/2012/02/27/mct_digitalspeced.html

Schultz, P. (2011, September 03). Words failed me then saved me New York Times, Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/04/opinion/sunday/with-dyslexia-words-failed-me-and-then-saved-me.html?_r=2

1 comment:

  1. I'm dyslexic over the years I have tried many methods in order to "overcome my dyslexia" but none of them really worked. Luckily for me I have found a technology that helps me spell correctly (I will never be a writer) and really changed many things in my life.
    The assistance technology I found is Ghotit dyslexia spell and grammar checker.
    Ghotit technology was developed by people with dyslexia and corrects text based on the context of the text.
    You can try Ghotit technology on Ghotit web site www.ghotit.com

    ReplyDelete